Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February 2009: Back to Paraguay

February 2009

To My Family and Friends:

One aspect of Paraguayan culture that differs from the United States is bluntly letting someone know when he or she has gained weight.  I don’t know fully how to interpret it; though, I believe it is more of an observation on someone’s appearance—like noticing a new haircut—than a malicious remark.  Needless to say, in the past weeks, numerous Paraguayans have informed me of my extra holiday vacation pounds.  I consistently respond, “I was well cared for.”  Indeed, I experienced much generosity from family members and friends in Seattle, Portland, West Covina, Long Beach, Amarillo, and Miami.  There were countless great conversations and times being together, as well as plenty of scrumptious food.  My visit to the U.S. was a great blessing.  To all of you with whom I interacted, who listened to me share about Paraguay, who provided me with nourishment and lodging, who donated to my mission work, and who supported me in a variety of ways: thank you. 

The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me’” (Matthew 25: 40).

Please accept my apologies for not updating you upon my arrival in Paraguay at the beginning of February, as I indicated I would.  This month has been busy.  My first week in Paraguay was teacher preparation at the Nuevo Horizonte School.  The second week I visited a Chilean pastor friend in Uruguay, and then saw my cousin Jeff and his wife Kim in Argentina.  Classes started last week.  I’ve preached three sermons and assisted with a couple of youth services.  I’ve helped two short-term volunteers, Emily and Aubrie, acclimate to the school and neighborhood.  Also, I celebrated Gloria Iluminada’s, my goddaughter and student, fifth birthday.    

In addition, I went to a conference last weekend in the interior where I connected with many Paraguayan Christian leaders, particularly a group of college ministry leaders.  Last night I went to my first prayer meeting with them on the National University’s philosophy campus.  It was powerful.  College ministry has been on my heart for many years, and was certainly something I’ve wanted to get involved in since I came to Paraguay in 2008.  Now I have a chance to step into that ministry.  Please pray for wisdom for me as I start to decide upon what ministries to spend my time in outside of teaching.  Keep the college student group, “La Red” (the net), its leaders, and those to whom it ministers in your prayers as well.  Pray for this to be a great year at the Nuevo Horizonte School, for the students to utilize and expand their God-given intellect, and for the teachers to effectively love and teach the students. 

“…To the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power, and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore!  Amen” (Jude 25).

Missing You All,


Tim Revett

No comments:

Post a Comment