Wednesday, February 23, 2011

November 2008: A Paraguayan Thanksgiving

November 2008

“I thank God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now…”  (Philippians 1: 3-5)

Dear Friends and Family:

I never directed a Thanksgiving play before last Thursday.  The play was bilingual, brief, and performed by a talented bunch of second graders.  They presented the well-known story of the dinner between the Native Americans and Pilgrims in Spanish and English.  Most of the students memorized their English lines after only a couple practices and delivered them with near perfection.  Their performance left me so impressed that I forgot to lead them in an appropriate off-stage exit.

Thanksgiving, I believe, serves to remind us, primarily, to thank God for His provision.  Secondly, it reminds us to recognize the invaluable contributions of indigenous culture.  About 90% of Paraguayans are of mestizo ancestry (Spanish and native mix), and practically all Paraguayans preserve part of native culture by continuing to speak the Guarani language.  In fact, outside of the city, Guarani is more commonly spoken than Spanish.  Yet, the indigenous population of Paraguay shares the social and land ownership struggles of indigenous peoples in other countries.  Please pray for the government of Paraguay to honor the various native tribes scattered across the country.  Also, pray for the social and spiritual well being of the Paraguayan indigenous people, particularly the Toba Maskoy tribe, which is a people group that has no known gospel witness.

Thank the Lord for answering many of your prayers for Paraguay and for the Nuevo Horizonte School.  Nuevo Horizonte concludes a triumphant school year.  The Puerta Abierta youth group has become a cohesive and active group.  Daniel and Margarita are ready to start leading small groups in December.  A number of people in the neighborhood, including Cesar, who I mentioned in my previous letter, and Jorge, a former inmate and drug addict, show a desire to learn more about Jesus and the Bible by opening their homes for studies and home church services.  One couple who recently prayed with me to accept Christ—Gualberto and Florentina—own a centrally-located chicken stand.  Please pray for them to grow in Christ, and, if the Lord prompts them, to be willing to host a Bible study next year.

As my first year in Paraguay nears its end, I praise God for what I’ve seen him do here.  I also thank Him for your support in helping me play a role in the extension of His Kingdom here.  Up to now, your donations will support me at least through May of 2009.  To help me stay beyond then, you can still make a tax-deductible, one-time gift or monthly pledge to Latin American Mission (on the web at www.lam.org, or by mail to: Latin America Mission, Tim Revett/Paraguay, P.O. Box 52-7900, Miami, FL  33152-9913).

From December 6th until January 31st, I will be in various parts of the United States.  Here is my tentative itinerary:  Portland (12/6-1/3), Seattle (12/11-12/15), [Possible trip to the Bay Area at New Years], Los Angeles Area (1/3-1/6), Amarillo (1/7-1/18), [Possible brief stay in Albuquerque], and Miami (1/19-1/30).  Please contact me at 503-265-8821 during December.  It would be great to talk and possibly set up a time to meet up during my U.S. visit.

May the Lord grant you and your loved ones a peaceful and relaxing Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,

Tim Revett 

No comments:

Post a Comment