Wednesday, February 23, 2011

June 2010: Engaged!

June 2010

Dear Friends and Family:

It was a Wednesday afternoon in May.  Margarita finished teaching her last class and prepared to go home.  As she exited her classroom, her sister Cynthia, who is also a teacher at the Nuevo Horizonte School, stopped her to ask for help on a project.  Margarita stayed an extra 45 minutes helping her sister and chatting, but the whole time wanting to go home.  When Cynthia finally let her leave, Margarita discovered a small table right outside of the classroom.  On top of the table was a rose, a photo of us, and a journal entry from the weeks before she and I started dating.  The table was the first station on a trail of flower petals that led up the staircase to a second table where she found another rose, photo and a later journal entry.  The trail continued to a third table, again, with a rose, photo and, this time, wedding vows (a late pre-marital counseling assignment).  The table was located in front of the exit to the school’s terrace.  When Margarita stepped out onto the terrace, she found me seated at a candlelit table with coffee and pastries.  A few moments later, I asked her to marry me, to which she said yes.  Thank you all for your prayers over our relationship.  I am very grateful to the Lord for the immeasurable blessings He’s given me through Margarita.

So now we’re planning a wedding, which takes place on September 25th.  Yet, as we plan, ministry doesn’t stop.  I continue helping to organize outreach events at the Puerta Abierta Church.  At the end of July I’ll travel to Chile to translate for a short-term team from Paramount Baptist Church in Amarillo, Texas.   This week I’ll begin Bible studies inside the Tacumbú Penitentiary.  In addition, I still assist my colleague Elias in his soccer outreach to the boys of Cerro Gu’y.  All these activities occur outside of my time teaching and developing the Nuevo Horizonte School’s English program. 

Margarita and I will continue at the school through the end of 2010.  We hope to travel to the U.S. by January of 2011 to begin a year of working, visiting family and preparing for a return to Paraguay.  Hence, from now through December, I will be focusing on discipling others to take over my responsibilities.  Please pray for the following individuals:

1) An English teacher for Nuevo Horizonte
2)  Alejandro and Pablo, with whom I have weekly Bible studies
3) Vicente, who will continue the jail ministry
4) A coordinator of outreach and evangelism at the Puerta Abierta Church.

Many of you were praying in April when the Puerta Abierta congregation stepped outside of the church building—and into the drizzle—for a day of outreach to the Cerro Corá neighborhood.  The event featured games, haircuts, diabetes tests, and teeth extractions.  About 80 children participated along with dozens of youth and adults.  Everybody there heard the gospel message presented, and many invited Christ into their lives.  Your prayers were answered.  To the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, be the glory…

Please keep me posted as to how life is for you and your family, and let me know if you happen to be in the area in late September.  The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. 

Sincerely,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment